parents, princeton, and hogwarts?

Over Easter, I visited the beautiful Princeton, New Jersey. My parents met me in Dallas, we flew up to Philadelphia, spent about half a day in downtown Philadelphia, and then drove over to Princeton. I had never been up to any of the New England states, so I did not know what to expect. But what I saw and experienced was great. When we got to Princeton, we drove around a little and saw a bit of the place. The moment I laid eyes on the campus of Princeton University and Princeton Theological Seminary, I thought to myself, "Am I in the world of J.K. Rowling?" Seriously, I felt like I should see people playing Quiddich, practicing wizarding stuff, and the entire cast of the Harry Potter books.

I told my parents all of this, and they thought it was hilarious. So, while on the trip we continued to notice some Hogwartsish things about Princeton. I list a few:

-PhD students at the seminary lead classes called "precepts." Thus, many PhD students are called "preceptors." Which is interesting because in Harry Potter the seventh year students at Hogwarts are called "Prefects." Precepts-Prefects...sound similar. I think so!

-Most MDiv programs are three years. At PTS, Princeton Theological Seminar that is, when you are in your second or middle year, you are known as a "middler." There is no direct correlation to Harry Potter with this word, but I think it is a Potterish word. For example, "muggle," "hippogriff," and various odd words are used in the Harry Potter books. I deem "middler" to be worthy of the Hogwarts world. J.K., if you could put that in the next book that would be great. Oh, and I will be expecting a check in the mail for pointing this word out to you.

-The architecture at Princeton is beautiful. I would say that it is a Gothic style, much like the castle in Hogwarts as portrayed by the Harry Potter movies. In fact, I think Princeton even has a great hall where a sorting hat sorts the students. Along Nasau road, the road that runs directly in front of Princeton University, there is a long building with stained glass windows all around it. At night, this building would be lit up on the inside, and you could see the large chandeliers and high ceilings. I never saw the sorting hat inside, but I be Dumbledore had it in his office.

Well, the trip was great. My decision on where to attend seminary has become even more difficult after seeing the campus and meeting some of the staff and students. If only it were as easy as putting on an old hat to tell you where to attend. Before I leave, I have noticed on my site meter that someone from Princeton reads my blog. Who are you? I would like to know. I love your campus and school. peace

Comments

Craig said…
Maybe it's John Nash, the "Beautiful Mind" guy.

I hope you go to Princeton. Although my time in California has been limited to a brief morning breakfast just off the beach with Wesley during a layover, I much prefer the northeast to the west. I'll be more likely to visit you @ Princeton.

And that, my friend, should be the #1 factor in how you make your decision.
Meg said…
I took your advice. Thanks for being a good friend.
Craig said…
Meg,
You are not allowed to post personal things on an email like this unless you share with the rest of the world what exactly Harris advised you to do.

Proceed...
Paola said…
Harry Potterish?????

Princeton it is! haha....

You are awesome Harry...oh my gosh!! Your name is Harry, just like Potter!
harris said…
your welcome, meg. perhaps, we should discuss this at dinner tonight rather than allowing the whole world to see the discussion. however, if you don't mind, meg, then go for it right here. looking forward to dinner and hanging out.
Mrs. Carn-Dog said…
middler...isn't that a quiditch term?

the P. sem guy may be my friend Erik. I know he checks my blog from time to time and could possibly have clicked on the link to "Harris Happens" Maybe I'm wrong though.

He's freaking smart though. Like Carn-dawg times six. O.k. that doesn't say much. Like C. Stephen Evans divided by two. And give him time and he'll be his equal.
Anonymous said…
Come to Princeton! We can hang out in NYC! I may be the person reading your blog from Princeton, sorry to disappoint. My bro-in-law is getting his PhD at PTS. I was recently at my sister's house dog-sitting, avoiding writing papers, and yes, checking blogs from their computer. If you want to ask him any questions about PTS, I can give you his e-mail. Let me know.
Anonymous said…
I have checked your blog from time to time, and yes I am Carney's friend, Erik. Princeton is a cool place, mostly. Depends upon what you are looking for in a school. If you want, send me an email and I'll answer any questions you didn't get answered when you visited. erik.leafblad@ptsem.edu

Popular Posts