an attempt to be artistic on a day that changed our lives

I am a bit embarassed to put this on my blog. You see, I am not a poet and you will never hear my talk as if I am a poet. I really wanted to write a poem that captures my emotion about today, and this is what came out. Some of it rhymes. Some of it doesn't. If you do not like it, fine, but I had to write it. If artists today create anti-art, then maybe this is an anti-poem. Here we go...

It was a year ago today that a beloved friend died.
A year ago today when we all cried and cried and cried.
I wish I was there to stand by your side
To give you a hug, an embrace, and share in your sighs.

A day has not passed that you do not cross my mind.
So many memories we have together, they are irreplacable,
Even living in this beautiful sunshine state.

Many miles may be between you and I
But know that my heart is with you always.
Your are constantly on my mind.
Your tears are my tears and mine are yours too.

One thousand plus miles is a hell of a long way to drive.
But miles cannot separate emotion, someone's prescence,
And the love that connects each of us, one to another.
Your smiles and laugther are my smiles and mine are yours too.

You are UBC. You are my folks in Waco. You are my friends.
You are my loved ones. You are my family. You are Kyle.

It was a year ago today that a beloved friend died.
A year ago today when we all cried and cried and cried.
Today we still ask why...why...why...
Today I take each breath in and out with sigh.
Today I thank God that we are all alive.

As is said once a week by a community of people that I love:
As we approach this week,
May we love God
Embrace beauty
And live life to the fullest.
Amen.

Comments

Craig said…
Harris,
We all love you and wish you were here. Praying for you today.

Craig.
harris said…
thanks everyone. all of you are great.
Meg said…
miss you :)
Paola said…
:)
so happy that you are a part of my life.

Popular Posts