equality or mutuality/interdependency?

Wow! Almost two months without a post from me. I apologize, but I bit off quite a bit this past quarter with my classes. I had a Hebrew Prophets class that I really like, but it about did me in. I have a few more posts about relationships that I want to do, then a few more posts on the docket. I turned in my last papers for the quarter yesterday, and I start the Spring quarter on March 26th. So, I will be trying to do a good deal of posting the next few days. Let's continue reading about relationships...

I want to address one question in this post: "How should we understand the status of our relationships with one another?" In other words, should we strive for equality within our relationships or should we strive for mutuality—also understood as interdependence—within our relationships. You probably know which one I choose, but before I show why we should strive for interdependence, let me explain my apprehensions with equality.

First off, I have no issues with Martin Luther King Jr. and the social justice that he advocated, and to some extent achieved. What he did and the results from his life have been some of the most, if not the most, influential and important aspects of United States history. Thus, what I have to say here is not against King's actions. Rather, I see this post as a supplement to his actions so that we can better understand what I think he advocated. I realize I might misrepresent King's views in what I am about to say, but when I hear people talking about equality, I do not think they are neglecting the fact that there are natural differences among people. For example, no matter how much I want to or try I will never be able to bear a child or give birth to a child. Only women can do such things. Likewise, no matter how much I try I will never be Hispanic, Chinese, Indonesian, African, African American, etc. I will always be a Caucasian Euro-American. However, this is not to say that one ethnicity is inferior to the other because of skin color or accents. We should not exploit people because of our natural differences.

Due to these natural differences, we cannot understand our relationships as equal. Equality being understood here as devoid of differences. However, we can understand our relationships as mutual or interdependent. This also seems to be the approach that Jesus took.

In Matthew 20, we have the parable of the landowner and the laborers in the vineyard. The kingdom of heaven is like this: One day a land landowner needed some laborers for his vineyard. So, he went out and hired some laborers during the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 11th hours of the day. He told each group of people that they would get a full days wage for working in his vineyard. When the working day came to an end, the landowner paid each of the workers the same wage: the people hired at the 3rd hour received a full days wage as did the people hired at the 11th hour. The people who had worked the entire day were upset because they had worked longer than the people who were hired at the 9th and 11th hours. Thus, they argued that they deserved more payment. The land owner answers the men, "I am doing you all no wrong. Did you not agree to work for a full days wage? Then, take your money and go, but I wish to give to these last people the same wage. After all, it is lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own. Are you all envious because I am generous? So, the first shall be last and the last shall be first."

What we see in this passage is the juxtaposition between "the story of world power" and "the story of the kingdom of God power." The former is represented by the vineyard workers. The ones who are angry about their wages are expecting to be paid more because their perspective is fairness as equality whereby they should be paid more for their work than the other people who worked less. Moreover, they want to use their power—a longer working day—to gain interest over others. On the other hand the landowner represents power in the kingdom of God. In this case, the last statement of the land owner sums up this power "The first shall be last and the last shall be first." Later in chapter 20, Jesus continues this subversive thought when he tells the disciples, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord if over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

In other words, fairness and power for the kingdom of God are not fairness as equality nor coercive power because fairness comes in mutuality and interdependency through serving one another. Power is found through forgiving. Power is found through healing and delivering. Power is found through depending on others.

Consequently, as we build relationships with one another in our communities, we should not seek the power of the world in looking for fairness as equality nor coercive power. Instead we should follow what Martin Luther (not King) called the Theology of the Cross. God works through our weakness, as evidenced by Jesus' death on the cross, and w
e must have faith or come to trust in a God who works in weakness. Thus, we must be mutually dependent upon each other in our communities because our communities are the ontological and existential support that mirrors the metaphysical support from God. Translation: our relationships are the physical support in the here and now that mirror the support we receive from God. Equality is unattainable and unnecessary for our relationships because power and fairness in the kingdom of God is found through mutuality and interdependence where by we serve each other in our relationships. peace

table of contents
contingency, relationships, and freedom: are we as free as we think?

Comments

Robyn said…
Well said, Harris. I enjoyed this post very much! Thanks for leaving Hannah a comment the other day. She was tickled.
harris said…
no problem, i really like reading hannah's stuff. you have a talented daughter. i hope waco is treating you well. give ubc folks hugs from me.

Popular Posts