redemption

Do you ever have those moments where you realize how messed up we are as humans or how messed up our world is, in general? If you don't, I hope that you do have them in the future because I think we often forget that we are in need of help, all of us. I definitely had two of those moments this weekend.

On Saturday night, I met up with my boys--Shea, Matt, and Anthony--to watch Lord of War. The general story goes thusly: Yuri Orlov, played by Nicolas Cage, is a gun runner. He sells guns, amunition, grenades, etc. to underdevloped countries. In the first lines of the movie, Yuri announces his mission: to supply guns to as many people in the world as possible.

DISCLAIMER: Don't read further, unless you want to know how the movie ends.

Now I know this movie is a movie. That is, it is fictious in its nature. However, at the end of the movie, we are told that the movie was "based on actual events." That phrase always makes me hesitant. Based on acutal events=one little part of this really did happend, but the majority of the story was fabricated. However, I think there is a lot of truth in this movie.

You see, Yuri gets caught for violating every arms rule in the United States and many other countries. He should spend ten life sentences in prison for what he did. Then, he is released. No questions asked. Due to his connections with many powerful people in the world, he had these people watching his back. After all, he was great at his job. Yuri is released the same day he is arrested. During his time spend in cusdoty, Yuri speaks some truth. Some truth that hurts and maddens. He says that even though what he does for a job is against the law, the U.S. is one of the largest exporters of guns, ammunition, grenades, etc. This infmation is also stated, in word form, at the end of the movie. WHAT! THE VERY THING THAT GUN RUNNERS DO, SELL ARMS ILLELGALLY, IS CONSIDERED LEGAL WHEN WE DO IT AS A COUNTRY. I submit this is contradictory. I am not a fan of violence, and I hate accept that it necissarliy occurs. I think it is messed up that we, as the U.S., the God blessed country, are one of the top LEGAL gun runners. Doesn't make sense.

The following night, Sunday, I am in my room reading. My face begins to hurt. The pain becomes localized over my right eye. The damned right eye. Many of you probably do not know, but I often have migraine headaches, and these headaches are always a sharp pain over my right eye. Imagine that someone has put a knife through the right side of your head, right above the eye. It hurts like hell. Now imagine that this kind person, every so often, turns the handle of the knife; thus, inflicting more hurts-like-hell pain. That is a migraine at its finest. The pain completly levels me. Luckily, I knew what is was within five minutes and took some medicine to calm and rid of the pain. Two hours later, after laying in my bed with all the lights off, I emerge from my cave of pain. As I thought back on those two hours of pain and darkness, I realized that, physically, I/we are in need of redemption.

Sorry if that was depressing. Am I though? Yes and no. peace

Comments

greenISgood said…
H: Great post. Author, Joan Didion describes what you talk about migrains here:

http://sunsite.wits.ac.za/holistic/didion.htm

"And once it comes, now that I am wise in its ways, I no longer fight it. I lie down and let it happen. At first every small apprehension is magnified, every anxiety a pounding terror. Then the pain comes, and I concentrate only on that. Right there is the usefulness of migraine, there in that imposed yoga, the concentration on the pain. For when the pain recedes, ten or twelve hours later, everything goes with it, all the hidden resentments, all the vain anxieties. The migraine has acted as a circuit breaker, and the fuses have emerged intact. There is a pleasant convalescent euphoria. I open the windows and feel the air, eat gratefully, sleep well. I notice the particular nature of a flower in a glass on the stair landing. I count my blessings."
harris said…
robert, that is great. thanks for that.
myleswerntz said…
harris, glad you found the thinktank. chime in when you want.
Anonymous said…
I will never look at your right eye the same... By the way... Lord of War messed me up too. I think the awkward and frustrated silence after the movie was very telling. I looked around at everyone and the general look on everyone's faces was "What the hell?" (or other explitives depending on the individual). We're in a real messed up place... right now it seems like only you and Kurt Vonnegut like to talk about it.
jenA said…
how do you think Afghanistan happened? They were overrun by the Soviet republic, so we supplied the village leaders with arms to defend themselves. From those leaders emerged the Taliban, and extremist Islamic theocracy. Oh, the joy of saving the world from Communism.
Good post, btw. Too bad the only other remedy I know for migraines is illegal.

Popular Posts