an awkward date

So there I sat. With wine glass in hand, I quietly listened to the soft music playing in the restaurant. I waited for her to say something. Anything. Granted I had been gone for almost a week and had been with other women, but I was there now. She looked at me, tears in her eyes, and asked, "Where have you been?"

I told her, "Look, I know it has been a while since you and I have talked. I know that you know about 'the others,' but I want to let you know that I am back."

She was dumbfounded. She didn't know about "the others." She said, "You told me life happens a little to much sometimes, but you told me you would see me soon. That we would spend some time together, but you never told me about "the others." Who were they?"

The music quietly playing through the speakers had stopped. The player was in between songs. You could cut the awkwardness with a knife.

I said, "I can explain. Sunday there were two."

"Two!"

"Yes, two. I had to spend time with Physics that day because of her exam. Also, Religion and Philosophy's midterm was on Tuesday. So, I had to spend time with her because one night isn't enough with her."

"How could you say that?"

"Let me finish. I finished Physics on Monday, she was easy, but I had to devote the rest of the day to Religion and Philosophy. That evening, History of Modern European Philosophy and I got together. It was a quicky though. Only about thirty minutes."

"Only a quicky?"

"Yeah. I had to get some rest. So, Tuesday, I got Religion and Philosophy done. I spent too much time with her on the previous days because she was easier than I thought she would be. Then it was a full day and night of History of Modern European Philosophy. I was wiped. In bed early. Then, up early this morning. I kicked her out around 11. She wasn't bad."

"And? What about today?"

"Well, I was with 'On Biblical Authority.' Something I have been working on, but it is 90% done. And I am sending her off by tomorrow."

"Y--"

"No, don't say anything. I want to let you know that I am back. For you, 'life is happening.' I am looking forward to the break to spend some time with you."

"So am I, Harris. So am I."

As we clanked our wine glasses and embraced, the end of the Beatles's song "Hey Jude" was playing through the speakers. You know, the end part with the Laaaa la la lalalala? It was cinematic. peace

Comments

Craig said…
i think i need a cigarette.
Anonymous said…
you dirty boy...who was the best?
harris said…
speed: physics
comfort: philosophy and religion
greenISgood said…
You know its hard out there for a pimp (you ain't knowin)....done seen some crazy thangs out there in the streets
Anonymous said…
oh harris your such a romantic
Meg said…
You're so weird. Get a woman.
Singleton said…
The only romancin we need is our books! Holy crap that was painful to type. Great post. made me laugh and smirk and turn red at times.
harris said…
yes

Popular Posts