grandmothers and holiness

I rarely talk to my grandmother, and we only see each other about once or twice a year. When I called her the other day I did not expect to have a conversation. Usually, our phone conversations go something like this:

"Hey Maw Maw [that is what my sister and I call our grandmother]. This is Harris."

"Well! Hello child."

"I was calling to say thanks for my birthday card."

"You sure are welcome. I thought the card fit you well."

"Yes, it does."

"Well, I'm glad you called. You stay out of trouble now."

"Ok, Maw Maw, I will do my best."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

Our conversations are always short, sweet, and to the point. No funny business. However, on March 20, 2006, much funny business occurred. I enjoyed every second of it. At one point Maw Maw was telling me about her day. She told me that she goes to her church every morning to walk for thirty minutes. By the way, Maw Maw is 80+. I find it amazing that she walks for thirty minutes every morning. After telling me about walking, Maw Maw said one of the best statements I have ever heard: "And after that, I just give the day to the Lord, and everything is a surprise."

I initially laughed when my grandmother said this because it is a bit corny to say such a thing. After we got off the phone, I gave her statement some thought. If you can get beyond the corniness, there is much to be dealt with in those 13 words.

On my drive to Amarillo for spring break, I listened to one of Kyle's sermons. I was apprehensive at first about doing this, but it was great listening to it. I listened to the God in the music sermon he did over Arcade Fire's "Rebellion (Lies, Lies)." Great band, by the way. At the end of the sermon Kyle talked about the word/concept of "holy." When I think of this word, I think of something that is unattainable. However, what Kyle said about it changed my view.

Holy, in its roots, means to be set apart. However, this is not a geographic setting apart; rather, it is a subversive setting apart. As God's creations, we are called to be set apart. We are called to live subversively. We are called to be holy.

Maw Maw has more fully grasped something that I as a 22 year old have yet to fully grasp. How to begin each day holy/set apart/subversive. Who begins their day by "giving it to the Lord?" Who begins their day with that mindset? I like to think that I do. Sure, I have days where I have this concept in mind, but most of the time I do not think about it. I want to be more set apart. I want to be more subversive. I want to be more holy. I think this is a good beginning. Surprise me God. peace

Comments

Singleton said…
Great Harry. Really enjoyed this one... amde me thoughtful and contemplative.
Meg said…
I have had these exact thoughts here lately. I want to get coffee or just sit around and talk about things.
harris said…
let me know when meg. thursday evening would be good for me.
Meg said…
me too say 9ish? cg?
Anonymous said…
i think we all owe great respect to maw-maw. is she not the best "maw-maw" ever?
harris said…
yes, brian. she is the greatest maw-maw. its wierd to see family members reading my blog, but i like it. hope you enjoy.

Popular Posts