living simply...

Have any of you have seen those shirts that are floating around Baylor's campus? The cool black ones with the blue tree on the bottom right corner of the front of the shirt, and the message that says "live simply." The full message of the shirt, which is printed on the back, is: "Live simply so that others can simply live." I love the design of the shirt and the ideal that it conveys. But I have some issues or questions about it. Are we willing to live simply? If so, what does that look like for us?

Do not think I am placing myself above my critique. I am as guilty as the next person. I am my own critique.

Can we live simply? The majority of the students at Baylor most likely spend their mornings thusly: Wake up. Eat some form of breakfast. Watch television. Head to room and begin picking out clothes. Examine jean selection: Diesel, Seven, True Religion, Levis, Wranglers, etc. Pick a shirt from among a myriad of shirts that will look good with chosen jeans. Look at shoes: Diesel, Puma, Vans, Nike, New Balance, Chuck Taylors, Pf Flyers (there coming back, baby), etc. Get dressed. Brush teeth...hopefully. Think of mode of transportation: long board, roller blade (you see a few of these brave souls on campus), bike, walk, drive, etc.

Can we honestly say that we are willing to live simply when we have a choice between five overly priced pairs of jeans, five pairs of shoes, and four plus modes of transportation--the last of which, driving, is most likely the choice even though we live less than fifteen minutes walking time from campus?

What does it mean to live simply? If we learn to live simply, does that mean life becomes easier? I think of the World Hunger Farm in Waco. They live much more simply than we do, but I do not think their lives are simple. We do not wake up every morning to care for our crops or livestock. They do. Is that simple living? Simply cannot mean easier because I think regardless of our position life is not easy. I have an easier life than the homeless man I saw today begging for food. I have an easier life than my waitress friend who has two kids, and has to work all the time in order to provide for them. But my life isn't easy. I lost a friend last year. I will lose my parents and other friends during the rest of my life. Life is not easy. Simple can't mean easy.

Does simply mean giving up many of our amenities? Perhaps, to some extent. But, like I said, I do not think we are willing to do this. Does simply mean buying food that ensures the farmers and producers of it get paid what they deserve? I think so, and luckily this is becoming easier to do. However, it is not fail proof. What else does it mean?

I say all of this because I think this shirt is great. It has a positive message that is a great ideal to shoot for. I am not knocking the idea, but I do not think we as a Baylor culture, or the majority of the US for that matter, are willing to do it. I hope someday people will know what it means to live simply. Maybe some of you know how. Share with us. Share with the world. We are waiting. Waiting for people like you to help.

Sorry for the social critique. peace

Comments

greenISgood said…
Sweet! Even small ways each of us do "simple" is important, like asking "Are we living simply?"

Thanks for the post up, H!
Aho said…
I like this post and the thought you have put into it. Though I dont do this often, might I suggest you read, or, re-read, Making All Things New by Henri Nouwen. These things are present there in his project and living a spiritual life is at the center of the discussion. The short books begs to be read over and over and one of his most important comments is: "the spiritual life is simple but it is never easy."

I recognize that I am my own critique by responding to a questioning of simplicity by suggesting a book which complicates life, but simplicity starts somewhere, a map or guidebook might be helpful.

Just my 2 cents, enjoy the cool t-shirts.

friend of ben
harris said…
thanks for the comment, aho. i'll have to look into that book; i have never read it.

Popular Posts