back from africa


It feels great and strange to be back in "the states"—I think it is funny to call our home this. Africa was unbelievable. Literally, it was not what I expected. I journaled almost every day while I was on the trip. Throughout these next couple of weeks, I am going to share some things that I journaled about.

There are so many things to say, and it is difficult to know where to start. How do I begin to expound on two weeks that changed the lives of many people from Africa and from "the states?" For now, I leave you with this.

I was amazed when we arrived in Africa to see large amounts of happiness. I thought many people would be sad, depressed, and/or angry because of their hopeless condition. However, the situation in Africa, even in the most extreme conditions, is full of hope. For example, the children in Africa have little. When I say little, imagine sharing a twin bed, clothes, shoes, etc. with one of your closest friends. The word "mine" does not mean much because so much is involuntarily shared. Despite the little that the children have, they are happy and full of joy. Smiles and laughter were in abundance. Where does this laughter, these smiles, and this hope come from? I think you know. With all of this in mind, here is a little something.

So much pain, so much hurt.
Without anything else to know.
All that is left is You, somehow.

Much, much more to come. peace

Comments

Anonymous said…
thanks for expressing my same feelings in a way much more eloquently than I could ever do.
Paola said…
i love that Harris...
somehow, all that is left is You.

Popular Posts